I've had a few Christmas makes preying on my mind and didn't manage get on with them as fast as I had hoped. The main task I had set myself, and which was really bothering me, was making some Christmas robins for the gallery (I know I'm not the only one who sets themselves targets which can then become rather challenging and stressful when, really, whether or not they are achieved is not going to end the world). I did manage to finish them in early December - only a fortnight after I'd intended.Peter Potter and I'm happy with how they have turned out. I wanted to make fat little robins. I think I had fluffed-up-against-the-cold robins in mind. I'm not sure how anyone else would have gone about designing fat little robins. I'm always intrigued to see how other people work, especially those that really know what they are doing, I would love to have some kind of training behind me but I seem to be muddling along finding methods that work for me, even if they may not be the most efficient or technically correct.
I ended up with 5 drafts* before I got the shape I was hoping for. They progress round clockwise from the bottom left in the photo below. The first had some strange kind of crested cockatoo head shape, or perhaps it was a horned dinosaur. The next had a huge head and no beak, or huge beak and no head, and the body was shapeless. The third had quite a sweet shape (I may use it in the future for non robin birds) and the fourth and fifth were better but not right. Lucky number six was just what I had been aiming for.